Y108

Y108

Constructed by Phoenix Foundry Ballarat, to a design by Kitson and Co of Leeds, in 1889. The largest and most powerful 0-6-0 steam locomotives in Australia, the class of 32 were used commonly on passenger service around Melbourne before electrification, and on local freight services. Y108 was the last of the class to be retired in 1963 as North Melbourne yard pilot.