Constructed by Clyde Engineering of Granville, NSW between 1957 and 1961.
S308 entered service in January 1988 and ended service 30 years later in July 1988.
These locomotives often ran in pairs on the Overland and Spirit of Progress (and later Southern Aurora).
S308 was withdrawn from active service and used at Dynon Locomotive Depot as a Demonstration engine. The internal electrical covers were replaced with Perspex and the number plate was amended to SD308.