Constructed at Newport Workshops in 1941 and retired in 1956. The largest engine constructed by the Victorian Railways, and believed to be the largest non-articulated locomotive in the Southern Hemisphere.
3 of this class were to be built to run the Overland to Adelaide without double heading A2 class locomotives, but due to wartime requirements and weight restrictions on the Parwan River bridge only 1 was constructed and spent its life on the North-East line. The only 3 turntables in Victoria that could accomodate it without splitting the engine and tender were at North Melbourne, Albury and Ararat.
H220 would occasionally fill in on the Spirit of Progress when an S class steam locomotive was not available, but mostly ran goods trains between Melbourne and Albury, and occasionally Tocumwal.