Following the electrification of Melbourne's suburban area and an increase in local freight the Victorian Railways constructed 2 new electric locomotives with the same electrical equipment as the suburban passenger trains. These proved so useful that the VR constructed an additional 10 units to a modified design. E1102 is the first of the second batch of electric locomotives, built at Jolimont and Newport Workshops in 1928. It was not given the class E until 1955 when the E class steam locomotives were withdrawn, in fact the E class plates off the steam locmotives were reused on the electric. The original 2 units were scrapped in 1955 following a collision at Fairfield. The class saw use on light local freights across the network, and one was usually used as a shunter at Warragul. The E class were withdrawn in the early 1980s, E1102 one of the last in service in 1983.