Built in 1884 By Phoenix Foundry, Ballarat. The tender is believed to be a unique survivor of the much earlier W class locomotives, which had been scrapped by the 1920s. T94 became a shunter at the Newport Powerstation and the middle pair of driving wheels had the flanges removed to navigate around tight corners. It was retired on the 13th June 1952.
One of 6 locomotives ordered by State Electricity Commission of Victoria with the Victorian Railways F class order.
Built by English Electric Dick Kerr Works, Stafford England.
F211 was delivered to the SEC in March 1953 and purchased by Victorian Railways in July 1958.
The class shunted the passenger car sheds at Spencer St yards and other regional depots.
In later years an F class was kept by the Hump Sorting Roads, and would be deployed to retreive any misrouted wagons. It was known as the “Trimmer”. In this role F211 earned the nickname “Little Trimmer”, later getting a cast nameplate with this moniker. On withdrawal it was painted in Vline Tangerine and Grey, the only F class to wear the livery, and placed on a plinth near the hump yard before entering the museum.
Built in 1893 by David Munro, South Melbourne. Used as a suburban passenger engine until electrification of the network. Used as a shunter at Newport from 1926 until retirement in 1953.
The T class became the most common diesel locomotives of the Victorian Railways.
Constructed in 5 batches by Clyde Engineering, Granville NSW to varying designs.
T367 entered service in February 1964 as the first of the 3rd order. While previous batches had a flat roofline with a cab in between 2 cabinets, this variation saw the \”short end\” nose dropped below window level and sloping away from the locomotive, a trend that would carry on through all remaining locomotives and is still used in locomotive design today.
Some first series T locomotives were later modified with the sloping nose and upgraded engines to become the P class.
Some T (and P) class locomotives remain in service today with Southern Shorthaul Railroad, hauling grain and new High Capacity Metro Trains from Newport Workshops to Pakenham East. They are also popular with preservation railways.
Built in 1929 at Newport Workshops. Named Gerald A. Dee in preservation after the VR driver who secured its survival and proposed the creation of a railway museum. Designed as a heavey freight locomotive, built with a large tender to run Melborne – Bendigo without refuelling. Retired in 1961 after 741,609 miles (1,186,574.4km)
Built in 1956 at the Newport Workshops.
V56 was designed to push suburban train sets through the wash plant at Jolimont Workshops, generally at 1km/h.
It used a Fordson 40hp tractor engine and hydraulic motor, with chain driven axles.
V56 was retired by the early 1980s with the closure of Jolimont Workshops.
N432 was the last steam locomotive ever built by Newport Workshops, entering service in July 1951 and withdrawn 1966.
N class locomotives were a lengthened and upgraded K class, for use on longer branchline freight services. Most were converted from coal to oil burning, N 432 having this treatment in November 1957.
This exhibit is painted in a livery worn by classmate N430 on the 1951 Jubilee Train, a commemerative train that ran between Melbourne and Adelaide in commeration of the anniversary between Victorian and South Australian Railways workshops.
Constructed by Tulloch, Rhodes NSW and entered service August 1960.
Designed as a shunting engine for the many Victorian Railways yards, but also saw service on Werribee passenger services (briefly) and branchline freight.
The class as a whole were plagued with engine and transmission problems that led to them being very unpopular with crews and fitters.
The original Mercedes engines were replaced with GM versions, but many of the issues persisted. Exhibit W243 shows the original engine.
Photo by Andrew Henderson
Constructed at Newport Workshops and entered service in early 1922. It was retired in 1962.
When built the C class was the heaviest and most powerful steam locomotives in Australia.
C10 was converted from coal to oil burning in August 1946.
The Y class locomotives were built for shunting, and branchline freight with roadside shunting. The controls were set up for good visibility and instant response. They became the second most common class of diesel locomotive ordered by the Victorian Railways, in 3 batches.
Y137 was constructed by Clyde Engineering, Granville NSW as part of the 2nd order of the class, and entered service in July 1965.
The Victorian Railways found the cost of new bogies prohibitive, instead using bogies off scrapped wooden suburban electric trains with suitable modifications.
For many years these locomotives were used on Werribee passenger services and some can still be seen today shunting carriages for Vline at Southern Cross and Geelong.