Following the electrification of Melbourne’s suburban area and an increase in local freight the Victorian Railways constructed 2 new electric locomotives with the same electrical equipment as the suburban passenger trains.
These proved so useful that the VR constructed an additional 10 units to a modified design.
E1102 is the first of the second batch of electric locomotives, built at Jolimont and Newport Workshops in 1928. It was not given the class E until 1955 when the E class steam locomotives were withdrawn, in fact the E class plates off the steam locmotives were reused on the electric.
The original 2 units were scrapped in 1955 following a collision at Fairfield.
The class saw use on light local freights across the network, and one was usually used as a shunter at Warragul.
The E class were withdrawn in the early 1980s, E1102 one of the last in service in 1983.
25 L class locomotives were constructed by English Electric and imported between 1953 / 1954.
L1150 was the first of the class and entered service in April 1953.
The class were designed for use hauling briquettes and brown coal from the Morwell and Yallourn mines, and passenger service to Geelong and Traralgon. Only the Traralgon line was electrified, and most of the class were stored at Newport Workshops while this took place.
L1150 was named “R. J. Wishart” in a ceremony on Traralgon platform to mark the opening of the electrified line.
Primarily the L class worked the Traralgon passenger services Monday-Saturday (overhead was turned off on Sundays and B class diesel electrics took over), and a diesel T class would be attached to continue the train to Sale, Bairnsdale and Orbost. They also saw service on Melbourne suburban goods to Fairfield, Ringwood, Port Melbourne and other stations across the network.
With the demise of the mine traffic, the requirement for replacing the overhead, and increasing locomotive failures requiring 2 locomotives to run together at all times, the class was withdrawn and the line de-electrified by 1988.