The Railway Museum contains Victoria’s most extensive collection of steam locomotives, as well as a number of diesel and electric locomotives, electric suburban carriages, country and interstate passenger carriages, freight wagons, breakdown cranes, and more…
Following the electrification of Melbourne's suburban area and an increase in local freight the Victorian Railways constructed 2 new electric locomotives with the same electrical equipment as the suburban passenger trains.
These proved so useful that the VR constructed an additional 10 units to a modified design.
E1102 is the first of the second batch of electric locomotives, built at Jolimont and Newport Workshops in 1928. It was not given the class E until 1955 when the E class steam locomotives were withdrawn, in fact the E class plates off the steam locmotives were reused on the electric.
The original 2 units were scrapped in 1955 following a collision at Fairfield.
The class saw use on light local freights across the network, and one was usually used as a shunter at Warragul.
The E class were withdrawn in the early 1980s, E1102 one of the last in service in 1983.