The Railway Museum contains Victoria’s most extensive collection of steam locomotives, as well as a number of diesel and electric locomotives, electric suburban carriages, country and interstate passenger carriages, freight wagons, breakdown cranes, and more…
Constructed by Beyer Peacock of England in 1911, to the DD design of the Victorian Railways. It is similar to exhibit D3635, but with a smaller boiler.
D2604 was sold to Australian Paper Manufacturers in 1956, and was used as a shunter at the Morwell paper mill until the early 1960s.
APM converted it to oil firing, using a tender from a D3 locomotive tender on an underframe from a withdrawn A2 locomotive tender.