The Railway Museum contains Victoria’s most extensive collection of steam locomotives, as well as a number of diesel and electric locomotives, electric suburban carriages, country and interstate passenger carriages, freight wagons, breakdown cranes, and more…
Built in 1956 at the Newport Workshops.
V56 was designed to push suburban train sets through the wash plant at Jolimont Workshops, generally at 1km/h.
It used a Fordson 40hp tractor engine and hydraulic motor, with chain driven axles.
V56 was retired by the early 1980s with the closure of Jolimont Workshops.