The Railway Museum contains Victoria’s most extensive collection of steam locomotives, as well as a number of diesel and electric locomotives, electric suburban carriages, country and interstate passenger carriages, freight wagons, breakdown cranes, and more…
The last class of steam locomotive ordered by the Victorian Railways, constructed by Vulcan Foundry, Newton-Le-Willows. They were constructed between 1953 and 1954, by which point the B class diesels had also been delivered and were proving their worth. As a result the J class only had 16 years of service before the last was withdrawn from shunting at Bendigo in 1972.
These were basically an updated K class, designed with more accessible motion gear, and the capability for gauge conversion.
J559 was the last steam locomotive ever delivered to the Victorian Railways.