The Railway Museum contains Victoria’s most extensive collection of steam locomotives, as well as a number of diesel and electric locomotives, electric suburban carriages, country and interstate passenger carriages, freight wagons, breakdown cranes, and more…
Constructed by Newport Workshops and entered service in August 1913 as A 848.
It was modified with a superheated boiler, smoke deflectors, and renumbered A2 884 in the early 1930s, and retired in 1963.
Of the 125 constructed with outside Stephenson\'s Valve Gear, 884 is the sole survivor. Exhibit A2 995 displays the later more accessible Walscheart\'s Valve Gear.
From their introduction in 1907 to their withdrawal in 1963 the A2 class were a versatile staple of the Victorian Railways, with 185 class members running everything from The Overland to Serviceton, the Spirit of Progress, and goods trains across the state. By the late 1950s the class were progressively removed from service with the introduction of the B and R classes.