The Railway Museum contains Victoria’s most extensive collection of steam locomotives, as well as a number of diesel and electric locomotives, electric suburban carriages, country and interstate passenger carriages, freight wagons, breakdown cranes, and more…
N432 was the last steam locomotive ever built by Newport Workshops, entering service in July 1951 and withdrawn 1966.
N class locomotives were a lengthened and upgraded K class, for use on longer branchline freight services. Most were converted from coal to oil burning, N 432 having this treatment in November 1957.
This exhibit is painted in a livery worn by classmate N430 on the 1951 Jubilee Train, a commemerative train that ran between Melbourne and Adelaide in commeration of the anniversary between Victorian and South Australian Railways workshops.